Thursday 14 January 2016

Vegan Chocolate- WHAT IS IT LIKE?




Vegan is a word being thrown out there a lot at the moment. But what is vegan alternative food like? Here is one guilty pleasure as a vegan alternative; chocolate. Chocolate tends to contain dairy which makes it a no no for Vegans. But here is some vegan chocolates!

I love chocolate, but only super dark chocolate. I'm not really a fan of milk or white, unless it's mint chocolate then I love it all!  I have now tried a few vegan chocolate bars from two brands,  Conscious and COCOA. I am not a Vegan, but I thought I would give these a try.


Conscious is a brand aimed at being different. Their flavor is very rich and easy to melt, very easy it goes everywhere. I have tried several of their varieties. These chocolate bars are gluten free, soya free, vegan, free from refined sugar and suitable for those with a gluten intolerance. It sounds like this is a wonder bar. It comes with a large price tag, I think I paid nearly £4 for a bar in a sweet shop. It does not taste like any chocolate I have eaten before, much richer but not bitter. It is very sweet, and the texture reminds me of the texture inside of Lindor balls, however they can be a bit dry sometimes. I have tried the plain, orange and fruit and nut. They were all amazing, but the orange was my favorite. The only mega down side I can think of is it is really hard to get hold of. It's available in Selfridges Birmingham, but not online and on their own page HERE. I really do like these.


I had a nibble to see what it tasted like. It was very bitter, and not sweet but I liked it. 



Here is the second brand called COCOA, these come in black paper packaging with lots of health claims on the packet. It says:
  • Made of unroasted cocoa beans
  • Rich in magnesium, potassium and iron 
  • Vegan 
There is very few ingredients: Raw cocoa beans, coconut blossom, sugar, cocoa butter, cocoa powder. (plain bar) 
I have tried two bars, the COCOA with goji berries and the classic bitter. Both are very bitter in taste and the bars themselves are very hard, and dry the mouth. The taste is very intense and I like it, but this chocolate bar probably wouldn't be to everyone's taste as it is very, very bitter. I like raw cocoa taste, it's like raw cooking chocolate powder. But I know that this probably wouldn't be as popular as the other chocolate bar. This does leave a very dry texture in the mouth which isn't nice, the goji berries are pretty tasty though. 

I struggled to find this online, I was brought these so i'm unsure where you can buy them. 


Would I recommend vegan chocolate bars? Yes! They are far better than I imagined, tasted far nicer and had some interesting varieties. 

I hoped you enjoyed reading this. Got any questions? Feel free to comment. 

Laura 



No comments:

Post a Comment